Waterways around the world are under attack by pollution and mismanagement, but everyone can do their part to make a difference and let your voices be heard! Take Action this on World Water Day Tuesday, March 22, 2022. Join St. Marys Riverkeeper and Waterkeepers around the world as we celebrate 50 years since the Clean Water Act. We are challenging our awesome volunteers to get out and celebrate this day on your own, and here are six ways you can participate:
- Head to a community park and pick up litter and debris (that would eventually make its way to our water) – be safe and wear gloves and always look for traffic!
- Own a watercraft? Head out on the water and remove litter and fishing line from the mangrovHead to a community park and pick up litter and debris (that would eventually make its way to our water)
- Practice responsible water use during your morning routine. Taking a shower uses an average of 15 less gallons of water than filling up a bathtub, and shutting off the faucet while you brush your teeth or scrub your hands during washing can save almost 400 gallons of water a month.
- Watch a water documentary. Just do a search for water on your Netflix, Hulu or Amazon streaming accounts for a variety of highly-acclaimed films on the world water crisis, droughts and climate change, and even the bottled water industry.
- Plant a tree. 60% of forest land is in a degraded state. Healthy forests ensure good quality soil for water to fall onto and flow though, which can prevent flooding and mitigate the impacts of climate change.
- Choose recycled goods while grocery shopping. It takes less water and energy to turn materials into recycled goods than to start with raw materials.
Be sure to share what you are doing! Take some pics or videos and share with @StMarysRiverkeeper and use hashtags #ACT50 #worldwaterday #StMarysRiverkeeper #St.MarysRiver #CleanWaterAct