Apply <Here> Before September 1st!
About the St. Marys Riverkeeper
The St. Marys Riverkeeper is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization founded in 2016, dedicated to the protection of the St. Marys River, which flows nearly 130 miles from its headwaters near the Okefenokee Swamp, through four counties in Georgia and Florida, to meet the Atlantic Ocean at its mouth near Cumberland Island, Georgia and Amelia Island, Florida. The St. Marys River is a natural and cultural resource providing recreation and livelihoods for the rapidly growing local community. The watershed includes three thousand miles of tributaries with associated plants and wildlife that rely on pollution-free water to survive and thrive.
The St. Marys Riverkeeper is the voice of our river — to advocate, protect, conserve, and ensure this beautiful and healthy resource remains unspoiled, for the enjoyment and use of the local community, for generations to come.
Purpose of This Role
With our momentum since our founding in 2016 we are hiring our first full-time employee. As the Executive Director you will be in charge. You will be the chief ambassador and fundraiser and voice for the organization… responsible for programs that advance our mission and for securing the resources that fund our success. This position recognizes the complexities associated with water conservation and is passionate about seeking solutions. The Executive Director is supervised by the Board of Directors and directs the work of the staff. As the Executive Director you will be expected to:
- Build our grassroots environmental water conservation organization through community engagement and volunteer mobilization.
- Hone programming and networking opportunities that improve water quality and promote awareness with our stakeholders.
- Grow significant, meaningful, lasting partnerships across the community to raise funds and execute best-in-class programs.
- Impact measurement: You will set and achieve high-level organizational goals with accountability to the Board of Directors. Key performance indicators include the number of new and renewing members; donor and corporate sponsor funding; successful grant money we are able to raise; and the organizational endowment you’re able to build over time to scale the mission.
- Program management: You will be responsible for designing and executing programs that focus on improving water quality across the watershed. You will develop strong educational programs with volunteers, community schools and students. Our aim is to complement these programs with excellence and to fulfill community expectations for protection of the watershed.
- Fundraising: You will serve as chief fundraiser for the organization. This includes grant writing and/or overseeing proposals, solicitation of corporate sponsorships for events, and cultivation and solicitation of individuals, including major donors.
- Ecosystem awareness: You will serve as the ambassador and primary spokesperson for St. Marys Riverkeeper and its programs, developing relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders in the community, including corporations, landowners, other conservation organizations, and the media.
- Operational logistics: You will oversee financial controls, budgets, legal documentation, etc. and manage outsourced resources (i.e. legal, tax, and financial service providers). You’ll lead conversations using the website, social media accounts, and other marketing materials.
- Team development: You will recruit, manage, and refresh our teams as our budget grows, including volunteers, contractors, and interns as needed. You will grow the organization from a functional program to a national standard, as part of the Waterkeeper Alliance.
- Your Key relationships are: St. Marys Riverkeeper board of directors, governmental committees and agencies, corporate and private donors, conservation organizations, grant agencies, research groups, local schools, and especially our members and volunteers.
The Ideal Candidate
Essential skills and qualifications:
- High-level strategic vision: You are goal-driven, forward-thinking, and able to anticipate future needs of the organization. You have a proven ability to develop and implement strategic plans and are comfortable in the role of a trailblazer.
- A builder’s mindset: You achieve results with minimal oversight; self-starter. Strong sense of urgency, adaptability, flexibility, and resourcefulness. Entrepreneurial drive to define and reach the goals you set.
- Operational chops: Ideally, you have developed events-heavy programming for volunteer based organizations with inclusion as a core focus. You have worked in the startup environment before and can grow our existing organization into an example of excellence.
- Proven relationship-driven sales experience: Whether for resources, partnership, or fundraising, you can build relationships with others to gather resources for St. Marys Riverkeeper. Partnerships and relationship building will be a key element of success, thus, the successful candidate has a track record in sales or a sales-related (fundraising, development) role.
- Excellent communication skills: You thrive on public speaking and appearances. You are friendly and approachable, diplomatic and tactful enough to succeed as a spokesperson at high levels in front of endowments, governments and thought leadership groups. You have proven oratory skills, can lead a room, and also project yourself well on social media.
- Conservation mind set: You understand the complex issues facing water conservation efforts. You are passionate and strategic thinking with a solutions driven approach.
- Compensation: $50K base salary with fundraising bonus (scales up to $70K for exceeding target of $150K in new funds raised for the program year 2022).
- Ability to work remote regularly; regional location preferred. The St. Marys Riverkeeper base of operation is currently St. Marys, GA.
- Ability to regularly travel to and interact with diverse communities along the length of the river.
- Job type: Full-time with flexible scheduling
How To Apply
- Share your expression of interest here by September 1.
Your resume is not required to express interest in the opportunity. Candidates who have expressed interest will be notified by September 15 if there is further follow-up requested by our Board and Advisors.
St. Marys Riverkeeper prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, ability status, family or parental status, or age.